Check out new Rising Housing Costs and Resegregation reports and interactive maps here!
What is Gentrification?
Gentrification: a process of neighborhood change that includes economic change in a historically disinvested neighborhood —by means of real estate investment and new higher-income residents moving in - as well as demographic change - not only in terms of income level, but also in terms of changes in the education level or racial make-up of residents.
See our gentrification resources page here.
Check out our gentrification explainer video for a quick introduction:
What is Residential Displacement?
Residential Displacement: the process by which a household is forced to move from its residence - or is prevented from moving into a neighborhood that was previously accessible to them because of conditions beyond their control.
See our residential displacement resources page here.
Check out our displacement explainer video for a quick introduction:
- Urban Displacement Project Executive Summary
- Research Brief on the Consequences of Displacement, May 2017
- Developing a new methodology for analyzing potential displacement, April 2017
- Research Brief on Housing Production and Displacement, May 2016
- Article: gentrification warning systems in other metros, 2016
- UDP Case Studies on Gentrification and Displacement in the Bay Area:
- Literature review on gentrification, displacement and the relationship to public and private investment, March 2015
- Early warning gentrification toolkit report, 2009
Organizations and Research
Housing Policy and Advocacy Organizations
- Council of Community Housing Organizations
- East Bay Housing Organizations
- Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California
- San Francisco Anti-Displacement Coalition
- Silicon Valley @ Home
- SOMA Community Action Network
- Asian Law Caucus
- Mission Anti-Displacement Coalition
- SF Rising
- Oakland Rising
State of California:
- California Housing Partnership Corporation
- Housing California
- Western Center on Law and Poverty
- California Affordable Housing Law Project
- Public Interest Law Project
- Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment
- National Alliance of Community Economic Development Associations
- National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- National Low Income Housing Coalition
- NeighborWorks America
- Right to the City
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
Tenants Rights Organizations
- Housing Rights Committee of SF
- San Francisco Tenants Union
- Causa Justa :: Just Cause
- Eviction Defense Collaborative
- Tenderloin Housing Clinic
- San Francisco Rent Board
- Eviction Free San Francisco
State of California: